Eating the proper foods is so important in order to take the right step toward a healthy life. As a chiropractor, it is one of the 5 main elements we offer in our office. The 5 elements are adjustments, soft tissue/massage, acupuncture, exercise/rehab, and NUTRITION. You get your nutrients from the food you eat, which helps your body in so many ways. You get energy from food first of all, but those nutrients also help with all functions in your body. If you don’t eat right, you will not feel right. An example would be like if you do not eat at lunch, you can feel really tired and crash in the afternoon.
YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT. If you sit around eating Cheetos and drinking soda all the time, especially if you do not feel very good, then you are not helping your body. You need the real nutritious food to help your body when you are in pain or do not feel very good. We like to say, “All in moderation.” An anti-inflammatory diet is key to feeling better, moving better and being healthier.
We get a a lot of questions about nutrition, what food to eat and what supplements to take. In our office, we use Standard Process and Innate Response which are whole food supplement companies that we use and love. We have similar philosophies, that you should try and can get mostly everything you need from your diet then use supplements to fill in the gaps of nutrition that you are missing. When taking supplements, using a whole food supplement and a quality supplement is important so you know what you are taking into your body. So be careful with the things that you take for nutrition and if you have any questions to contact your local health care provider.
So here are some good tips to follow:
1. Be prepared for proper eating. YOU have to want to eat better and have the will power to follow recommendations. So when you go to the store, make sure to read the labels on anything you get. Eat the fresh stuff!
2. Protein, Protein, Protein! Try to avoid processed foods and eat more colorful foods like fruits and vegetables. Good sources of protein help keep you full. Try to avoid the simple carbohydrates for energy.
3. Do not forget the water. Staying hydrated is most important because you need to drink your recommended amount of water glasses a day. Water is key for healing and flushing out the bad stuff like inflammation.
4. Journal about your thoughts and diet. Emotional eating can not help a good nutritional plan. A lot of people do not know where to start but the best place to start is to keep a food journal for a week or two to give you an idea what you are actually eating. You find out how much junk food or fast food you are eating. It basically give you an idea to what to cut down and what you need to increase in your diet. It allows you to prepare for grocery shopping, cooking, and eating for your family and yourself.
5. Cook your own food. Cooking your own food allows you to know what is in it and you can add good spices and herbs for flavor. Cinnamon, turmeric and ginger are good spices to begin with. It can also be a great way to spend time with your family.
Learn to eat right and you will feel better, look better and have less pain. We here at Fletcher Chiropractic in Lincoln Nebraska are well verse in nutrition and are available to help you if you have any questions. We are always here to help.